How to Make Irish Soda Bread
Start planning your green outfit, St. Patrick’s Day is coming! Corned beef and cabbage are both traditional Irish foods, but rather than cook a savory main course on the holiday, try your hand at soda bread instead. We’ve got a step-by-step guide on how to make Irish soda bread!
See the full recipe here!
Here’s what you need:
* 1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
* 2 1/2 C. all purpose flour
* 2/3 C. sugar
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces with extra for serving
* 2 lg. eggs, beaten
* 1 1/2 C. buttermilk
* 1 15-oz. box raisins, soaked in very warm water for 2 hours
* 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbs. milk
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a jelly roll pan or 2 large cast iron skillets.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
4. Add the butter and pulse 8-12 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Add the 2 large beaten eggs, and buttermilk, and process for 15-20 seconds or until dough comes together.
6. Dust a work surface liberally with flour; turn out the dough onto work surface.
7. Add the raisins; knead with floured hands, adding more flour if needed to make a soft dough and to form two round breads.
8. Transfer to prepared skillets or baking pan.
9. Brush loaves with egg wash, and with a serrated knife, cut an X into top.
10. Bake 55-60 minutes or until top is golden and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. The bread should sound hollow when tapped on bottom with a knife.
11. Remove from oven and let bread cool on a rack for about 15 minutes. Slice and serve warm with butter.
Looking for more soda bread recipes? Check these out!
Irish Brown Soda Bread – Having seen all the recipes purporting to be ‘Irish Soda Bread’ I needed to give all of you the real Irish recipe for this wonderful bread.
Irish Country Soda Bread – A wonderful, old family recipe for Irish soda bread. This recipe requires no yeast and the batter is easy to make. Tastes good with everything.
Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread – While it’s perfect on the big day, don’t wait until St. Patty’s Day to enjoy this bread.
Tags: brown irish soda bread, easy irish soda bread, irish soda bread, irish soda bread ingredients, irish soda bread raisins, irish soda bread recipe, irish soda bread recipes, irish soda bread whole wheat, irish soda bread with raisins, irish soda bread with raisins recipe, recipe for irish soda bread, recipe irish soda bread, recipe irish soda bread with raisins, recipes for irish soda bread, recipes irish soda bread, traditional irish soda bread, whole wheat irish soda bread