The Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich: A Lenten Savior
When I was a kid, my mom was pretty adamant about fasting during Lent. That meant no meat at all, which was fine since I was a vegetarian at the time, and limited amounts of cheese. What??
Vegetables were my worst enemies as a child. I avoided anything green and leaf-like, and if I had to eat one, it was going to be a potato. So when Lent would come around every year, I’d always fall back on the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It’s simple, it’s tasty and you can eat it during Lent. Keep reading for more on America’s favorite sandwich.
This sandwich is comprised of a layer of peanut butter and a layer of jam or jelly on two slices of bread. So delicious! But over the years, and through many Lents, I’ve had to come up with some new twits on the old-fashioned PB&J. Here are some ways to spice up this sandwich:
1. Peanut butter and honey sandwich – Honey is sweet alternative to jelly!
2. Chocolate and peanut butter sandwich – More of a dessert sandwich than lunch, this one satisfies a sweet tooth!
3. Peanut butter and banana – Also known as the Elvis, this sandwich will make you weak in the knees!
4. Roll up the peanut butter and jelly - An easy way to cut down carbs and a fun way to serve the good ole’ PB&J.
5. Jelly French toast sandwich - Jelly and cream cheese work so well together! Use French toast slices for the bread!
Those are just a couple ways to change up ways to change up your peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Remember, the last one contains cream cheese, so if you’re staying away from dairy, skip it.
Here are a couple other things to add to a sandwich: maple syrup, Nutella, marshmallows, raisins, bananas, butter, marshmallow fluff, potato chips or other dried fruit.
Tags: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a peanut butter sandwich, banana and peanut butter sandwich, banana peanut butter sandwich, jelly sandwich, lent, lent recipes, lenten foods, make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, make peanut butter sandwich, making a peanut butter sandwich, peanut and jelly sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, peanut butter jelly sandwich, peanut butter sandwich, peanut butter sandwich made with jam, peanut jelly sandwich