Make Your Own Veggie Samosas!
While plenty of Indian dishes are very nutritious and diet-friendly, Indian cuisine also has its share of fried foods. Onion bhajis, for example, are tasty little nuggets made of fried, shredded onions. My all-time favorite fried Indian food, however, is vegetable samosas. Who can resist these tiny triangles filled with potatoes and veggies? I certainly can’t, which is why I’d like to share my favorite recipe for these fun appetizers.
The best part about making vegetable samosas is that you probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already! Some potatoes, some peas, flour, some spices…you won’t have to hunting for exotic spices or strangely-named ingredients for this recipe! (see the full recipe here)
Here’s what you need:
* 1/4 C. butter
* 2 C. self-rising flour
* 1 egg
* 3 Tbs. water
* 2 C. boiled potatoes, mashed
* 1 C. cooked peas
* 1/2 C. chopped onions
* 2 Tbs. ginger
* 1 Tbs. cumin
* 1 tsp. cloves
* 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
* pinch cayenne pepper
And here’s how you make it!
1. Cut the butter into the flour and add the egg and water to make a very firm dough. Roll out very thin and cut into 2 1/2-inch squares.
2. Mix the potatoes with the peas, onions, spices and herbs.
3. Put 2 tsp. of the mixture into the center of each square and fold over into a triangle, pressing the edges together to seal.
4. Fry in deep fat for 3 minutes until golden brown.
Simple, huh? You can whip up a batch of these in no time and have them waiting for your guests! Just keep them warm in the oven until everyone has arrived. I love to dip them in various chutneys or even hummus! Put out a variety of different dips so your guests can sample them all.
Tags: appetizer recipes, easy appetizer recipes, easy appetizers, fried samosas, indian recipe, indian recipes, indian samosa recipes, samosa appetizers, samosa recipes, samosas, vegetable samosa recipes, vegetable samosas, veggie samosas