The Top 10 Dishes and Recipes I’ll Never Make
There are just some dishes that I know I’ll never attempt making. For example, too much can go wrong while making lasagna. Just a couple of weeks ago, I tried making those delicious peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kisses in the center.
I could not find any baking soda for the life of me in my house. Instead of taking a trip to the supermarket, I decided to rummage around and try to find something to substitute it for. Now I’m still not sure what it was, but there was a plastic container at the back of the cabinet. It had a whole bunch of white powder in it. Tasting it was out of the question. I figured it had to be either baking soda or powder. I crossed my fingers and silently prayed that it would the former, and went for it.
Lucky for me the cookies tasted pretty decent. It was my first time making them, so I was pretty pleased. The bottom line though is that it could have been a disaster, and quite frankly, I’m kind of surprised that they were edible. My point is that even though this is a supposed ‘easy’ recipe, I still might mess it up. If I can mess up easy recipes, why even attempt lasagna. Here are my top 10 dishes that I won’t even try making. Well, maybe I’d try making them if I had my mom next to me.
- Fried Chicken – I’d probably splatter the fried chicken and end up getting some in my eye. No really, I don’t think I’ll ever attempt this, even though it’s supposed to be pretty easy. I think it has to do with this technique of frying that I never learned.
- Pierogies – My boyfriend’s mother makes the best pierogies I’ve ever tasted, so I think this one is more about the fact that mine could never top those little babies. She stuffs them with cheese and potatoes, so what’s not to love. I’d rather just let her take care of the pierogies, then ever try to make mine better.
- Souffles – My issue here is that I don’t even know what a souffle really is. I understand it’s supposed to puff up, and anything that requires actual movement within the dish, like bread rising, scares me. I’m not letting the thing rise, so I’ll stick to the more stagnant foods.
- Seafood – Never going to happen. I’m not cracking a lobster or frying a squid. I’ll eat the things, but never try making them. I don’t enjoy seeing the raw seafood either. I think if I attempting cooking with clams or oysters, it would deter me from ever eating them again.
- Deviled Eggs – This isn’t supposed to be very difficult, but for someone who’s never hard-boiled an egg. Plus, they’re always so pretty and professional. Mine wouldn’t look that good, unless I became a deviled egg expert!
- Pastitsio – This is the Greek version of lasagna, only it’s ten times more difficult. There’s a meat layer, macaroni, and the dreaded cream sauce layer, which obviously is the best part but also most time-consuming and tricky.
- Turkey for Thanksgiving – Why would I ever want this pressure? I wouldn’t, and I pray that I will never be granted this “honor.” I’ll stick to the macaroni and cheese or green bean casserole. Too much can go wrong with a massive turkey.
- French Fries – I’d rather purchase these little babies. Why ruin one of my favorite foods by trying to make them. It could scar my french fry experiences forever. OK, this might be the only one on the list I might actually try one day. But not anytime soon.
- Oatmeal – First of all, I don’t eat oatmeal so I won’t make it. Something about the texture is extremely off-putting. But my entire family loves it so I guess I’m stuck with oatmeal (no pun intended).
- Pizza Dough – This is one of the most difficult things to make, according to many Web sites and people I know. A friend once told me that it takes years and years to make dough. It’s just not that important to me, even though I’m sure it’s a great skill.
So there you have it! My very own top 10 most intimidating dishes! What won’t you try cooking or baking? Let me know!
Tags: baking soda, chicken, cooking, deviled eggs, difficult, difficult recipes, french fries, fried, fried chicken, intimidating, intimidating recipes, lasagna, oatmeal, pastitsio, pierogies, pizza dough, recipes, seafood, souffle, thanksgiving, turkey