Help! I Need A Dessert Fast!
If you’ve ever had one of those last minute invitations to dinner that require you to bring something, then you know how I felt last Saturday morning. My in-laws called and asked if we could come over that night to have dinner with a relative that had just popped into town. Oh, and by the way, could we please bring dessert?
With a day filled with yard work and baseball practice, I had a moment of panic until I remembered my “Go-To” last minute dessert idea, Easy Banana Cream Pie. I’m one of those “Type A” personalities that always keeps a graham cracker crust and chocolate and vanilla pudding in my pantry for last minute desserts. And I always have bananas in the house at various stages of ripeness for my children. And so all I really needed was a pint of whipping cream.
As luck would have it, I had a pint of whipping cream for another recipe in the refrigerator. And so, within an hour I had a delicious Banana Cream Pie that was so popular I added to Recipe4Living for anyone who finds themselves in a similar position.
2-3.4 oz. boxes instant vanilla pudding
1-2 ripe bananas
1 pre-made graham cracker crust
1/2 pint container of whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions for pie filling.
2. Slice one banana and place slices on the bottom of the pie crust and cover with pie filling.
3. Put in refrigerator for 1 hour or until ready to serve.
4. Add 1 tsp. of vanilla to whipped cream and whip until soft peaks form.
5. Slice the other banana and place on top of pie. Add whipped cream and serve.
The pie was a smash hit and everyone thought I’d spent hours on it instead of just a few minutes. You’ll definitely want to try this one the next time you’re desperate for a quick and easy dessert.