The Five Foods I’m Ashamed To Love, Sort of…
Ahh! I was just tagged for my first meme! What’s a meme? I think the best way to describe it is:
“A meme is like a chain letter, but through blogs, you ask people questions and then they answer them on their blogs and choose 5 more people to ask, etc. They can also be challenges, like a group of people baking the same recipe and comparing, or where you have to send your favorite ingredients to a fellow food blogger in the mail.” - Me.
The question I’ve been asked is: “What five foods are you ashamed to love?” So here goes!
1. Bagel Bites. Instead of cooking throughout college, I ate my way through package after package of Bagel Bites (only the three cheese kind – no meat for me). If you don’t know what they are, they’re pre-made mini pizza bagels that you pop in the microwave. So unhealthy, so unsophisticated, and yet…so good (I had one for lunch today – oops.)
2. Burnt cookies. Last year, my roommates and I hosted a holiday party where we made tons and tons of cookies. We wound up burning a couple batches of them, and my roommate immediately wanted to throw them out. I didn’t tell her out loud that I love burnt cookies (guess the secret’s out now…) but in my head I was slightly devastated. I think we still kept a few though….mmmm…
3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They make me feel like I’m 4 years old, but more often than not, I’ll prefer some creamy peanut butter and raspberry jelly to the more sophisticated likes of a grilled turkey panini, or a tuna melt.
4. Fast food. Hey, sometimes you don’t have a choice, when it’s 10:30 at night and you haven’t eaten dinner and there’s nothing in your kitchen. But then, there are the times when I crave it. Oops. Sorry body…
5. Tempura sushi. To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of eating sushi in the first place. It’s like:
“What did you eat for lunch?”
“Ooh, that’s healthy.”
“Yea, well it was fried…”
But yet, it’s too delicious to pass up sometimes. I tried a tuna strawberry tempura roll the other day and it was some of the best sushi I’ve ever had.
Anyway, there you have it! I guess the moral of the story if and when I’m ashamed to like some foods for their convenience factor rather than their quality, and other times I just feel like a child eating the things I do. But, I have to admit that this was a tough question. It’s hard to be ashamed of any food really. Everyone should just eat what makes them happy (within reasonable health of course).
On to the tagging, who shall I pick? Let’s see…
Adam from the Amateur Gourmet (I know you’re insanely busy with your book but I couldn’t resist. You’re too much of a favorite.)
Jennifer from Last Night’s Dinner
Dina from Miche Mache
Molly from Orangette
Lydia from The Perfect Pantry
Oh, and thanks again Anna, you made my day!
-Hillary, hoping her meme nominees will respond…