Clearing the air
I’m sure you’ve heard the recent news about the chemical in butter flavoring (used mostly in popcorn) causing a life-threatening lung disease. Well, I’m not here to report it again but rather to clear up a misconception many people, including myself originally, may be under.
The chemical used in butter flavoring, diacetyl, is harmful when in vapor form. Workers that have developed “popcorn worker’s lung” or consumers who have contracted the disease through microwaving popcorn have it only because they breathed in the fumes.
So, in all the reading I’ve done on the topic, I haven’t seen anywhere that eating butter-flavored popcorn is harmful. You just need to stay away from the microwave when it cooks and let it sit for awhile! Or, buy already-made popcorn and you should be fine. But be careful while using butter sprays too because it’s the same idea…fumes.
Despite this, I’m sure butter-flavored popcorn sales will still decline. Oh well, I tried (even though I hate butter…)
If you want to read more, here’s my article.
-Hillary, hoping to get a picture with Morimoto!